West St Augustine
Once called New Augustine. The area extends west of US1 at Oyster Creek to north to Ravenswood. Most of west Augustine was scrub pine and oak into the 1860s.
Two of St Augustine’s most significant and oldest homes are in West Augustine. One sits at 212 West King St. The Clark Worley house is the Queen Anne style and was built in 1862 by Francis Clark, a railroad pioneer. The other sits at 8 Arenta St, built in 1885 and was Second Empire style architecture with a double pitched mansard roof.
West Augustine, as it is referred by locals, is one of the older sections of homes in town. Access is from King Street which runs west from the Bridge of Lions and the historic district. Currently in the process of revitalization with kitchy new shops and restaurants! So close to the historic district with out the pricey cost! Most homes were constructed after 1925.
The designated schools for this neighborhood are Osceola Elementary School, R.J. Murray Middle School and St. Augustine High School. You may click on the schools for more information.